Who should not take gabapentin?

You should not take gabapentin if you have any allergies to any of the active ingredients in this medication. You may also want to speak with your doctor about precise dosing of gabapentin if you have kidney, liver, or heart disease. If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breast-feeding while taking gabapentin, you should speak with your doctor about the risks.

Gabapentin should not be taken by anyone under the age of 12. However, for children under the age of 12, gabapentin can be combined with other drugs to treat seizures.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
Before starting an anticonvulsant for migraines, it is important to discuss the pros and cons with y...
How does Topamax (topiramate) treat migraines?
Dr. Steven A. Meyers, MDDr. Steven A. Meyers, MD
No medication works for everybody, and it is not unusual to have to try several medications before y...
What should I know before taking gabapentin?
Gabapentin may not be a good option for women who are pregnant, considering pregnancy, or who may be...
Is it safe to take anticonvulsants during pregnancy?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
There is a risk of birth defects when taking anticonvulsants during pregnancy (especially the first ...