Who should not take Depakote?

Because Depakote has been known to cause life-threatening liver damage in children under two years of age, doctors must weigh the risks of Depakote against the possible benefits. Depakote is not usually given to children unless it is absolutely necessary. Depakote can cause birth defects and be passed to an infant through breastfeeding. Pregnant women and women who are breastfeeding must talk to their doctors before taking Depakote. Also, talk to your doctor before taking Depakote if you have a disease that affects your blood, kidneys, brain or liver, as Depakote may react with any one of these conditions. Inform your doctor of any medicine or drugs you are taking, any allergies you have or any upcoming surgeries. People who have a personal or family history of urea cycle disorder (excess amounts of ammonia), depression or suicidal thoughts should discuss the risks of taking Depakote with their doctor.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

How is gabapentin used to treat hot flashes?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
Gabapentin (Neurontin, Gralise) was developed to treat seizures. It has also been used to help to re...
More Answers
What tests are required before taking anticonvulsants?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Pretreatment laboratory tests are required for the anticonvulsants Depakote, Tegretol, and Trile...
More Answers
What are the side effects of valproic acid in people with dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
The side effects or adverse effects from valproic acid (Depakote) in people with dementia involve ra...
More Answers
What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
Your doctor will need to assess your liver function before starting treatment. Serum bicarbonate wil...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.