How soon after taking phenobarbital will my symptoms improve?

The rate of action can depend upon the form in which the medication is taken; intravenously or orally by tablet or elixir. Effectiveness also depends on what you are taking the medication for. When taking phenobarbital for sleeplessness, an improvement of symptoms can be felt in as little as an hour. If you're taking phenobarbital for anxiety, you may also begin to see improvements in symptoms quickly. If you're taking phenobarbital for seizures, it may take several weeks before you begin to see an improvement in control of seizures.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

Should blood levels of anticonvulsants be monitored?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Blood levels of anticonvulsants Depakote and Tegretol must be periodically monitored (especially...
What are side effects of anticonvulsants?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Here are side effects of anticonvulsants:Common side effects: Each anticonvulsant has specific side ...
What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
Dr. David C. Fiore, MDDr. David C. Fiore, MD
Before starting an anticonvulsant for migraines, it is important to discuss the pros and cons with y...
Is it safe to take anticonvulsants during pregnancy?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
There is a risk of birth defects when taking anticonvulsants during pregnancy (especially the first ...