How soon after taking phenobarbital will my symptoms improve?

The rate of action can depend upon the form in which the medication is taken; intravenously or orally by tablet or elixir. Effectiveness also depends on what you are taking the medication for. When taking phenobarbital for sleeplessness, an improvement of symptoms can be felt in as little as an hour. If you're taking phenobarbital for anxiety, you may also begin to see improvements in symptoms quickly. If you're taking phenobarbital for seizures, it may take several weeks before you begin to see an improvement in control of seizures.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
Your doctor will need to assess your liver function before starting treatment. Serum bicarbonate wil...
How does Topamax (topiramate) treat migraines?
Dr. Steven A. Meyers, MDDr. Steven A. Meyers, MD
No medication works for everybody, and it is not unusual to have to try several medications before y...
How is gabapentin used to treat hot flashes?
Gabapentin (Neurontin, Gralise) was developed to treat seizures. It has also been used to help to re...
What medications interact with anticonvulsants?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you are taking an anticholinergic drug, metformin, primidone, rufinamide, a selective serotonin r...