What should I know about Keppra before taking it?

Before taking Keppra (levetiracetam) you should know that, like other medications used to treat epilepsy, Keppra may cause suicidal tendencies in a small percentage of people who take it. If you feel depressed, overly anxious, severely agitated or withdrawn, seek help immediately. Before taking Keppra, make sure your family and/or caregivers understand what to look for in terms of changes in behavior, so that they may step in to get you help if you become suicidal or display other serious mental side effects.

Keppra can also cause extreme sleepiness and fatigue, particularly in the first 4 weeks of treatment. You should not drive or operate machinery until you know how Keppra affects you. 

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

Can I take Neurontin with other medicines?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Yes, but check with your doctor or pharmacist on possible interactions. Generally, neurontin won't s...
How is gabapentin used to treat hot flashes?
Gabapentin (Neurontin, Gralise) was developed to treat seizures. It has also been used to help to re...
How effective are anticonvulsants for treating migraines?
Valproic acid and topiramate have been considered the top choices among anticonvulsants for reducing...
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
Anticonvulsants are moderately effective for lowering the frequency of migraines in people who suffe...