What is Potiga?

Potiga (ezogabine) is a prescription medication taken with other medications to treat partial -- or "focal" -- seizures, the most common type of seizure in people who have the brain disorder epilepsy. In epilepsy, the nerve cells (neurons) of the brain fire faster than normal, which is thought to lead to seizures. Symptoms of partial seizures, which affect one side of the brain, may include strange sensations, emotions and behaviors, and involuntary movements, spasms and convulsions.

Potiga is thought to help reduce the "excitability" of the brain's electrical system, helping the brain to function normally. Talk to your doctor for more information about Potiga and epilepsy.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

How effective are anticonvulsants for treating migraines?
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
Anticonvulsants are moderately effective for lowering the frequency of migraines in people who suffe...
What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
Your doctor will need to assess your liver function before starting treatment. Serum bicarbonate wil...
Valproic acid and topiramate have been considered the top choices among anticonvulsants for reducing...
What should I know before taking gabapentin?
Gabapentin may not be a good option for women who are pregnant, considering pregnancy, or who may be...