What is Potiga?

Potiga (ezogabine) is a prescription medication taken with other medications to treat partial -- or "focal" -- seizures, the most common type of seizure in people who have the brain disorder epilepsy. In epilepsy, the nerve cells (neurons) of the brain fire faster than normal, which is thought to lead to seizures. Symptoms of partial seizures, which affect one side of the brain, may include strange sensations, emotions and behaviors, and involuntary movements, spasms and convulsions.

Potiga is thought to help reduce the "excitability" of the brain's electrical system, helping the brain to function normally. Talk to your doctor for more information about Potiga and epilepsy.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

How does Topamax (topiramate) treat migraines?
Dr. Steven A. Meyers, MDDr. Steven A. Meyers, MD
No medication works for everybody, and it is not unusual to have to try several medications before y...
How is gabapentin used to treat hot flashes?
Gabapentin (Neurontin, Gralise) was developed to treat seizures. It has also been used to help to re...
What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
Dr. David C. Fiore, MDDr. David C. Fiore, MD
Before starting an anticonvulsant for migraines, it is important to discuss the pros and cons with y...
What should I know before taking gabapentin?
Gabapentin may not be a good option for women who are pregnant, considering pregnancy, or who may be...