What is phenytoin?

Phenytoin is a prescription drug used to control and manage various kinds of seizures, such as epileptic seizures. The brand names for phenytoin are Dilantin and Phenytek. Phenytoin is also used to prevent and treat seizures that commence during a surgery or after surgery. Phenytoin works by reducing unusual electrical activity that occurs in the brain. The drug is within a class of prescription medicines referred to as anticonvulsant medications.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

Can I take Neurontin with other medicines?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Yes, but check with your doctor or pharmacist on possible interactions. Generally, neurontin won't s...
What should I know before taking gabapentin?
Gabapentin may not be a good option for women who are pregnant, considering pregnancy, or who may be...
What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
Before starting an anticonvulsant for migraines, it is important to discuss the pros and cons with y...
What is gabapentin?
Gabapentin (Gralise, Horizant, Neurontin) is a drug that was developed to treat epilepsy. It is also...