What is Keppra XR?

Keppra XR (extended-release tablets) is a prescription drug used to treat epilepsy. It is usually given in a 1000mg daily dose to people older than 16 who suffer from partial onset seizures. The active ingredient in Keppra XR is levetiracetam which is part of a group of drugs called racetams, usually considered nootropics. Nootropics are drugs that are memory/cognitive enhancers. Exactly how Keppra works on the brain is unknown, but it seems to inhibit the type of neural activation characteristic of seizures.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

How is gabapentin used to treat hot flashes?
Gabapentin (Neurontin, Gralise) was developed to treat seizures. It has also been used to help to re...
Can I take Neurontin with other medicines?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Yes, but check with your doctor or pharmacist on possible interactions. Generally, neurontin won't s...
What are the side effects of gabapentin?
Side effects may include dizziness, nervousness, sleepiness, indigestion, muscle pain, and speech di...
What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
Dr. David C. Fiore, MDDr. David C. Fiore, MD
Before starting an anticonvulsant for migraines, it is important to discuss the pros and cons with y...