What is Depakote?

Depakote has been a mainstay in the treatment of bipolar disorder. It seems to be an effective drug in both rapid cyclers and nonrapid cyclers. It is most commonly given in a slow release version called Depakote ER, and is available in a generic form. Most commonly, all of the Depakote ER is given at bedtime to minimize daytime side effects like sedation.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

What is gabapentin?
Gabapentin (Gralise, Horizant, Neurontin) is a drug that was developed to treat epilepsy. It is also...
What should I know before taking gabapentin?
Gabapentin may not be a good option for women who are pregnant, considering pregnancy, or who may be...
What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
Your doctor will need to assess your liver function before starting treatment. Serum bicarbonate wil...
What are side effects of anticonvulsants?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Here are side effects of anticonvulsants:Common side effects: Each anticonvulsant has specific side ...