What should I avoid while taking phenytoin?

When taking phenytoin, you should avoid taking medications that interact with the drug. Some of these medications include antacids, blood thinners, oral steroids, sulfa antibiotics, and salicylate pain relievers. It is important for you to avoid drinking alcohol and do not take this medication more often than prescribed. Let your doctor know about any medications, supplements, and vitamins you're taking, before you begin to take phenytoin.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

Is it safe to take anticonvulsants during pregnancy?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
There is a risk of birth defects when taking anticonvulsants during pregnancy (especially the first ...
How does Topamax (topiramate) treat migraines?
Dr. Steven A. Meyers, MDDr. Steven A. Meyers, MD
No medication works for everybody, and it is not unusual to have to try several medications before y...
What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
Dr. David C. Fiore, MDDr. David C. Fiore, MD
Before starting an anticonvulsant for migraines, it is important to discuss the pros and cons with y...
What are the side effects of valproic acid in people with dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
The side effects or adverse effects from valproic acid (Depakote) in people with dementia involve ra...