How soon after taking Dilantin will my symptoms improve?

You should notice a decrease in the frequency of seizures within months of starting Dilantin. In the first few months, the doctor will be monitoring your response to and your blood levels of Dilantin in order to adjust your dosage. The ideal dose is the lowest that reduces the seizure activity and gives the fewest side effects.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

Does anticonvulsant use in bipolar teens have risks?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Valproic acid and lamotrigine (Lamictal) and other anticonvulsants carry a Food and Drug Adminis...
What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
Your doctor will need to assess your liver function before starting treatment. Serum bicarbonate wil...
What are the side effects of valproic acid in people with dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
The side effects or adverse effects from valproic acid (Depakote) in people with dementia involve ra...
What are the side effects of gabapentin?
Side effects may include dizziness, nervousness, sleepiness, indigestion, muscle pain, and speech di...