Can I stop taking phenytoin if I feel better?

You should not stop taking phenytoin even if you feel better. Continue taking it until you talk to your doctor and he or she decides when and how you can stop taking the drug. If you stop suddenly, your seizures can get worse. Instead, your doctor will likely reduce your dose until you no longer need the medication.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

What are the side effects of valproic acid in people with dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
The side effects or adverse effects from valproic acid (Depakote) in people with dementia involve ra...
How does Topamax (topiramate) treat migraines?
Dr. Steven A. Meyers, MDDr. Steven A. Meyers, MD
No medication works for everybody, and it is not unusual to have to try several medications before y...
What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
Before starting an anticonvulsant for migraines, it is important to discuss the pros and cons with y...
What medications interact with anticonvulsants?
If you are taking an anticholinergic drug, metformin, primidone, rufinamide, a selective serotonin r...