Am I at risk of infertility taking phenobarbital?

If you are a woman taking phenobarbital, you may be at increased risk of infertility according to a study of women published in the American Academy of Neurology's journal. The study of women in India found that women who took phenobarbital for epilepsy were more likely to have infertility issues. Talk with your doctor about the risks associated with phenobarbital to help make an informed decision about its continued use.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

What anticonvulsants can help prevent migraine?
Anticonvulsants are drugs used to treat seizures. Some of these are also effective for preventing mi...
What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
Your doctor will need to assess your liver function before starting treatment. Serum bicarbonate wil...
What are the side effects of gabapentin?
Side effects may include dizziness, nervousness, sleepiness, indigestion, muscle pain, and speech di...
What are side effects of using anticonvulsants for bipolar?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
The main side effects with anti-convulsants such as Depakote and Lamictal that are prescribed for bi...