Will primidone interact with other medicines I am taking?

Primidone could possibly interact with many drugs. Of these, 10 drugs need to be avoided completely. They are:                                              - Dienogest
  •  Dronedarone
  • Everolimus
  •  Nilotinib
  •  Nisoldipine
  •  Pazopanib
  • Praziquantel
  • Ranolazine
  • Romidepsin
  • Tolvaptan        
Primidone, along with all of the drugs listed above, belong to a group of drugs called “CYP3A4 inducers”. CYP3A4 is the abreviation for a specific enzyme involved in drug metabolism. Taking primidone with another CYP3A4 inducer decreases the amount of the second drug that is available to your body, which could lead to serious effects. Before starting primidone, you need to tell your doctor about all the medicines, both prescription and over-the-counter, that you are taking. He or she may need to change some of your medicines or change the doses that you are taking. This way, there will be less of a chance for potentially dangerous interactions.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

What is gabapentin?
Gabapentin (Gralise, Horizant, Neurontin) is a drug that was developed to treat epilepsy. It is also...
What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
Dr. David C. Fiore, MDDr. David C. Fiore, MD
Before starting an anticonvulsant for migraines, it is important to discuss the pros and cons with y...
Can I take Neurontin with other medicines?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Yes, but check with your doctor or pharmacist on possible interactions. Generally, neurontin won't s...
What are the side effects of valproic acid in people with dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
The side effects or adverse effects from valproic acid (Depakote) in people with dementia involve ra...