What should I know about phenytoin before taking it?

Before taking phenytoin, you should be aware of how various illnesses are affected by this medication. If you have diabetes, porphyria, liver disease, a deficiency in vitamin D, or have a disorder that causes your bones to thin, you should notify your doctor before taking phenytoin. You should also know that the medication may cause suicidal thoughts and a variety of other side effects, such as trouble sleeping, confusion, and dizziness. Also, once you start taking this medication, you may have to continue taking it even if you are feeling better; if you stop, you may experience more seizures. Talk to your doctor about all of your health concerns before taking phenytoin.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

Should blood levels of anticonvulsants be monitored?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Blood levels of anticonvulsants Depakote and Tegretol must be periodically monitored (especially...
What medications interact with anticonvulsants?
Dr. John Preston, PsyDDr. John Preston, PsyD
Anticonvulsants can interact adversely with the following medications. Interactions vary depending o...
How effective are anticonvulsants for treating migraines?
Valproic acid and topiramate have been considered the top choices among anticonvulsants for reducing...
What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
Dr. David C. Fiore, MDDr. David C. Fiore, MD
Before starting an anticonvulsant for migraines, it is important to discuss the pros and cons with y...