Is it safe for my 16-year-old daughter to take valproic acid?

Studies have shown that use of valproic acid in women younger than 20 years of age could cause health problems. Valproic acid may raise the levels of a hormone called testosterone in teenage girls. This could cause them to get a condition called polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Symptoms of this condition include trouble with menstrual periods, obesity and heavy growth of hair on the body. Talk with your doctor about the risk of her getting this health condition if your daughter is taking valproic acid.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

What are side effects of using anticonvulsants for bipolar?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
The main side effects with anti-convulsants such as Depakote and Lamictal that are prescribed for bi...
How effective are anticonvulsants for treating migraines?
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
Anticonvulsants are moderately effective for lowering the frequency of migraines in people who suffe...
What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
Before starting an anticonvulsant for migraines, it is important to discuss the pros and cons with y...
What are the side effects of valproic acid in people with dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
The side effects or adverse effects from valproic acid (Depakote) in people with dementia involve ra...