Is it safe for my daughter to exercise while taking Topamax?

Your daughter should be careful to not get overheated when she exercises. One of the side effects of Topamax (also known as topiramate) is that it can prevent normal sweating. Sweating is the body’s way of cooling down. Your daughter should drink plenty of fluids when she’s exercising. Also, she should avoid exercising outdoors on a hot day. If she gets overheated, she should get in the shade or in an air-conditioned place right away. Call her doctor if she has any of these symptoms of heat stroke: an upset stomach, fever, headaches or muscle cramps.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

How does Topamax (topiramate) treat migraines?
Dr. Steven A. Meyers, MDDr. Steven A. Meyers, MD
No medication works for everybody, and it is not unusual to have to try several medications before y...
What are the side effects of valproic acid in people with dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
The side effects or adverse effects from valproic acid (Depakote) in people with dementia involve ra...
What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
Your doctor will need to assess your liver function before starting treatment. Serum bicarbonate wil...
What anticonvulsants can help prevent migraine?
Anticonvulsants are drugs used to treat seizures. Some of these are also effective for preventing mi...