How soon after taking Depakote will my symptoms improve?

Depakote is used as a means of controlling seizures and mania, not for curing them. Many people take Depakote for extended periods of time, as they would experience severe seizures or bouts of mania otherwise. In a study in the American Journal of Psychiatry, people who took Depakote as treatment for mania displayed lower levels of dopamine after two to six weeks of treatment. However, the long term effects of Depakote on people with mania (i.e. treatment lasting longer than three weeks) has not yet been evaluated. The time it takes for the drug to have an effect depends on each individual.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

Does anticonvulsant use in bipolar teens have risks?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Valproic acid and lamotrigine (Lamictal) and other anticonvulsants carry a Food and Drug Adminis...
How is gabapentin used to treat hot flashes?
Gabapentin (Neurontin, Gralise) was developed to treat seizures. It has also been used to help to re...
What are side effects of anticonvulsants?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Here are side effects of anticonvulsants:Common side effects: Each anticonvulsant has specific side ...
What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
Your doctor will need to assess your liver function before starting treatment. Serum bicarbonate wil...