How does gabapentin treat shingles?

Gabapentin affects nerves and chemicals in the brain that cause seizures and the pain of shingles; however, gabapentin does not cure these conditions, it only helps to treat the symptoms. It relieves the pain of shingles by changing the way the body feels pain. Studies show that 34 percent of the people who take gabapentin decreased their shingles pain by 50 percent.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

How effective are anticonvulsants for treating migraines?
Valproic acid and topiramate have been considered the top choices among anticonvulsants for reducing...
What are side effects of using anticonvulsants for bipolar?
Anticonvulsants, like most medications carry a variety of side effects including gastrointestinal an...
Can I take Neurontin with other medicines?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Yes, but check with your doctor or pharmacist on possible interactions. Generally, neurontin won't s...
What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
Dr. David C. Fiore, MDDr. David C. Fiore, MD
Before starting an anticonvulsant for migraines, it is important to discuss the pros and cons with y...