How soon after giving Sabril to my infant will symptoms improve?

Sabril, or vigabatrin, is typically prescribed to those in their late teens or older, but if your baby has infantile spasms and is between one month and two years of age, Sabril may be administered. The medication should take effect within two or three weeks. If there is no improvement after a few weeks of treatment, your infant's doctor will most likely slowly reduce the dosage and discontinue the medication due to vision risks. Use of Sabril is recommended only after signing a SHARE agreement recognizing the vision risks and agreeing to regular check ups to monitor vision and dose.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

What should I know before taking gabapentin?
Gabapentin may not be a good option for women who are pregnant, considering pregnancy, or who may be...
What are side effects of using anticonvulsants for bipolar?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
The main side effects with anti-convulsants such as Depakote and Lamictal that are prescribed for bi...
What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
Before starting an anticonvulsant for migraines, it is important to discuss the pros and cons with y...
Does anticonvulsant use in bipolar teens have risks?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Valproic acid and lamotrigine (Lamictal) and other anticonvulsants carry a Food and Drug Adminis...