Can I take Potiga if I am pregnant or breast-feeding?

If you are pregnant, breast-feeding or planning to become pregnant, talk to your doctor before taking Potiga. There are no reliable studies in pregnant women that prove Potiga is safe to take during pregnancy. You and your doctor may need to weigh the benefits of taking Potiga against the potential risk to your unborn child.

If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed, your doctor may want you to wean your baby before you start Potiga. If you become pregnant while taking Potiga, call your doctor right away so you can decide the best course of action to take. Do not stop taking Potiga without talking to your doctor first. Suddenly stopping Potiga may increase your seizures. Your doctor may also suggest that you enroll in the North American Antiepileptic Drug (NAAED) Pregnancy Registry, which is collecting data on the safety of antiseizure medications during pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

What are the side effects of valproic acid in people with dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
The side effects or adverse effects from valproic acid (Depakote) in people with dementia involve ra...
How is gabapentin used to treat hot flashes?
Gabapentin (Neurontin, Gralise) was developed to treat seizures. It has also been used to help to re...
What is gabapentin?
Gabapentin (Gralise, Horizant, Neurontin) is a drug that was developed to treat epilepsy. It is also...
What should I know before taking gabapentin?
Gabapentin may not be a good option for women who are pregnant, considering pregnancy, or who may be...