Can I take phenytoin if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?

If you are pregnant or plan to get pregnant, be sure that the doctor who prescribes phenytoin for you knows that you are pregnant or breastfeeding before you take it. Taking the drug may cause harm, abnormalities or birth defects in your baby; these effects can happen right away or show up later. If you are breastfeeding, you should not take phenytoin because it can pass into your baby's milk. Talk with your doctor and weigh the pros and cons of phenytoin so you can make the best informed decision about breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

What anticonvulsants can help prevent migraine?
Anticonvulsants are drugs used to treat seizures. Some of these are also effective for preventing mi...
How does Topamax (topiramate) treat migraines?
Dr. Steven A. Meyers, MDDr. Steven A. Meyers, MD
No medication works for everybody, and it is not unusual to have to try several medications before y...
What are the side effects of valproic acid in people with dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
The side effects or adverse effects from valproic acid (Depakote) in people with dementia involve ra...
What are the side effects of gabapentin?
Side effects may include dizziness, nervousness, sleepiness, indigestion, muscle pain, and speech di...