What should I know about Dilantin Kapseal before taking it?

Before taking Dilantin, as the Kapseal, you should know that the medication should not be stopped suddenly. Doing so could cause seizures to resume or be continuous, a life-threatening condition known as status epilepticus. Additionally, clinical studies of Dilantin showed an increased risk of suicide in patients using the medication. The risk is still minor, but you should let your doctor know if you have a history of depression. Alcohol use can also affect the effectiveness of the medication. You should also talk to your doctor if you're pregnant, plan on becoming pregnant or breastfeeding, because Dilantin can harm a developing fetus and a nursing child. Dilantin can interact negatively with many medications, so you must tell your doctor about all of the medications and supplements you're taking before starting Dilantin.

Continue Learning about Anticonvulsant

What is gabapentin?
Gabapentin (Gralise, Horizant, Neurontin) is a drug that was developed to treat epilepsy. It is also...
What are the side effects of valproic acid in people with dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
The side effects or adverse effects from valproic acid (Depakote) in people with dementia involve ra...
What should I know before taking gabapentin?
Gabapentin may not be a good option for women who are pregnant, considering pregnancy, or who may be...
What should I know before taking an anticonvulsant for migraines?
Your doctor will need to assess your liver function before starting treatment. Serum bicarbonate wil...