Can I take glucosamine chondroitin with MSM together with warfarin?

If you take warfarin, you should not take a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement – whether or not it has the additional ingredient MSM (which may help relieve joint pain). There is evidence that taking glucosamine or chondroitin, or the two substances together in one supplement, may increase the blood-thinning effects of warfarin, leading to possibly dangerous bleeding and bruising. Talk to your doctor before taking glucosamine/chondroitin and make sure he or she is aware of all supplements and medicines you take.
Glucosamine may increase your body's sensitivity to warfain and result in an increase in your INR blood level. Since this can increase the risk of bleeding problems, it is best to avoid glucosamine products or only used them under direct supervision of the doctor who is managing your warfarin dosing.  Any patient taking warfarin should always talk to their doctor before making any changes in their vitamin, mineral or supplements.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What are anticoagulants?
Many people with heart failure are at risk for blood clots in the heart or blood vessels. A blood cl...
Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...
Is warfarin a safe drug for pregnancy?
No - warfarin crosses the placenta barrier and has an anticoagulant effect in the developing fetus. ...
How are anticoagulants used?
Anticoagulants are medications that inhibit blood clotting. While they cannot dissolve an existing c...