Can I take glucosamine chondroitin with MSM together with warfarin?

If you take warfarin, you should not take a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement – whether or not it has the additional ingredient MSM (which may help relieve joint pain). There is evidence that taking glucosamine or chondroitin, or the two substances together in one supplement, may increase the blood-thinning effects of warfarin, leading to possibly dangerous bleeding and bruising. Talk to your doctor before taking glucosamine/chondroitin and make sure he or she is aware of all supplements and medicines you take.
Glucosamine may increase your body's sensitivity to warfain and result in an increase in your INR blood level. Since this can increase the risk of bleeding problems, it is best to avoid glucosamine products or only used them under direct supervision of the doctor who is managing your warfarin dosing.  Any patient taking warfarin should always talk to their doctor before making any changes in their vitamin, mineral or supplements.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
Rishi Anand, MDRishi Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too low?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too low, it means that her dose of warfarin may not be eno...
What are anticoagulants?
Anticoagulants, known by brand names including Coumadin, Jantoven and a new drug called Pradaxa, pro...
What are anticoagulants?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Many people with heart failure are at risk for blood clots in the heart or blood vessels. A blood cl...