Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?

Rishi Anand, MD
Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you will be taken off blood-thinning medications before knee surgery to avoid bleeding and serious complications. Because even though knee surgery is a non-cardiac surgery, you can still have cardiac complications if you suffer from afib.

The management of anticoagulation when you are undergoing surgical procedures is challenging because interrupting anticoagulation for a procedure increases your risk of forming blood clots that can be carried to other vessels in your body (thromboembolism), which can lead to a more serious condition or death. At the same time, surgery and invasive procedures have associated bleeding risks that are increased by the anticoagulant(s) you take for thromboembolism prevention. A balance between reducing the risk of thromboembolism and preventing excessive bleeding must be reached.

If you are being treated for afib and will be undergoing any type of surgery, talk your doctor about management of your afib and blood thinners around the time of surgery.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly a...
How do blood thinners affect my risk for aneurysms?
David W. Drucker, MDDavid W. Drucker, MD
They really don't. We do aneurysm surgeries on people who are on all different types of blood thinne...
Why would I need anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
You may be prescribed anticoagulant injections:       • if you are at risk for blood clots because...
What drugs may interact with anticoagulants?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
The following drugs may interact with anticoagulant drugs, leading to side effects: antiplatelet...