Why is there a black box warning for Xarelto?

Xarelto (rivaroxaban) carries two warnings on its label in a black-bordered box because of serious risks associated with the drug, which is used to prevent blood clotting. The warnings are:
  • Discontinuing Xarelto may increase the risk of dangerous blood clots and stroke if you have a type of abnormal heart rhythm known as nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. It may be necessary to switch to another anticoagulant.
  • Having spinal anesthesia, such as an epidural, or a spinal procedure, such as a spinal tap, may cause bleeding on or around the spine that can lead to long-term -- perhaps permanent -- paralysis.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What are the guidelines for anticoagulant therapy?
The following is a list of guidelines for anticoagulant therapy: Take the medication exactly as di...
What drugs may interact with anticoagulants?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
The following drugs may interact with anticoagulant drugs, leading to side effects: antiplatelet...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too low?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too low, it means that her dose of warfarin may not be eno...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly a...