Who should stop taking warfarin (Coumadin) before a colonoscopy?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
Warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven, generic) is an important medication for people with atrial fibrillation because it helps prevent stroke-causing blood clots from forming inside the heart. The concern with colonoscopy is that the doctor might need to take a biopsy or remove a polyp during the procedure, and being on warfarin increases the risk of bleeding.

There is currently no standard procedure for stopping warfarin before a colonoscopy. Most doctors are guided by a patient's chances of developing a blood clot. If you are at low risk, you should be able to safely stop warfarin for a few days before having your colonoscopy. If you are at high risk (for example, if you have had a blood clot or stroke while off warfarin for only a few days), you will need something to replace warfarin. The most commonly used bridging therapy is injections of a short-acting low-molecular-weight heparin like enoxaparin (Lovenox) or dalteparin (Fragmin). Like warfarin, these make blood less likely to form clots in the bloodstream. The last injection is usually given 24 hours before the colonoscopy. By the time of the procedure, its blood-thinning effect has worn off.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too low?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too low, it means that her dose of warfarin may not be eno...
What does it mean if my mother's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...
What should I tell my doctor before getting anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Before you begin anticoagulant injections, tell your doctor if you:       • have bleeding problem...
What is an anticoagulant?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
An anticoagulant (anti means against, and coagulant refers to blood clotting) or "blood thinner"...