Who should not receive dalteparin?

You should not receive dalteparin if you are allergic to pork products, heparin, benzyl alcohol, enoxaparin or any of the ingredients listed on the prescription label. Dalteparin is not for people with severe high blood pressure, excessive bleeding or a personal history of low platelet levels or other complications due to heparin treatment. If you are prescribed dalteparin to treat chest pain or a heart attack, do not use it if you are also scheduled to receive local anesthesia. Because little is known about its effects on children, use extreme caution when administering dalteparin to children.

Talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of receiving dalteparin during pregnancy. Dalteparin contains benzyl alcohol that can harm a fetus, and pregnant women who decide to receive dalteparin must be prescribed a version of dalteparin without this added preservative. Check with your doctor if you are breastfeeding during dalteparin treatment, as it can pass to your baby through breast milk. Dalteparin should be used with caution in elderly people, as they may experience more severe side effects. Also, it is important to avoid activities that may cause injury or bodily damage during dalteparin treatment.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What are some safety tips when taking anticoagulants?
If you... Have a prosthetic heart valve - Apixaban and rivaroxaban may not be good options. If yo...
Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
Rishi Anand, MDRishi Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...
What are the guidelines for anticoagulant therapy?
The following is a list of guidelines for anticoagulant therapy: Take the medication exactly as di...
When should I call the doctor while on anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Call the doctor if you notice these symptoms while taking anticoagulant injections:     • excessiv...