When should I take my warfarin?

You should take your warfarin exactly as your doctor has told you to take it.  Your doctor will probably tell you to take it once a day, at about the same time every day. Since blood test results often get reported to the doctor later in the day, the doctor cannot evaluate those results and make dose changes for you until late in the day. Because of this, many patients take warfarin in the early evening so they can change the dose as ordered by the doctor. It doesn't matter if you take it with food or without food. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions about how to take this medicine.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What drugs may interact with anticoagulants?
The following drugs may interact with anticoagulant drugs, leading to side effects: antiplatelet ...
How can anticoagulants affect oral surgery?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Reduced blood clotting is a side effect of aspirins and anticoagulants, such as heparin or warfa...
How are anticoagulants used?
Anticoagulants are medications that inhibit blood clotting. While they cannot dissolve an existing c...
What precautions should I follow when taking blood thinners?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
If you are taking warfarin (Coumadin), you already should be having a test regularly to make sure th...