What if my toes turn purple while I'm taking warfarin?

Tell your doctor right away if your toes (and/or the sides of your feet) turn purple while you're taking warfarin. This condition, sometimes called "purple toe syndrome," usually happens about three to 10 weeks after starting warfarin therapy. If left untreated, purple toe syndrome can lead to serious foot problems, including death of the tissue in your feet.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What does it mean if my mother's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...
Is it safe to stop taking blood thinners for afib before hip surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) and are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wi...
What are the guidelines for anticoagulant therapy?
The following is a list of guidelines for anticoagulant therapy: Take the medication exactly as di...
What should I tell my doctor before getting anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Before you begin anticoagulant injections, tell your doctor if you:       • have bleeding problem...