What if my mother's toes turn purple while she's taking warfarin?

If your mother's toes turns purple or dark in color while she's taking warfarin, you should call her doctor right away. This condition, sometimes called "purple toe syndrome," usually happens about three to 10 weeks after starting warfarin therapy. This condition is thought to result from small deposits of cholesterol breaking loose and flowing into the blood vessels in the skin of the feet, which causes a blueish purple color and may be painful. While the purple toe syndrome is reversible, some cases progress to cause skin and other body tissues to die (this is known as necrosis or gangrene) and may result in a need to remove (amputate) the toes. Your mother may need medical care right away to prevent this.        

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

How can anticoagulants affect oral surgery?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Reduced blood clotting is a side effect of aspirins and anticoagulants, such as heparin or warfa...
What are anticoagulants?
Anticoagulants, known by brand names including Coumadin, Jantoven and a new drug called Pradaxa, pro...
What does it mean if my mother's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...
What is Praxbind?
Praxbind (idarucizumab) is a medication used to reverse the effects of another medication, Pradaxa (...