What if my mother's toes turn purple while she's taking warfarin?

If your mother's toes turns purple or dark in color while she's taking warfarin, you should call her doctor right away. This condition, sometimes called "purple toe syndrome," usually happens about three to 10 weeks after starting warfarin therapy. This condition is thought to result from small deposits of cholesterol breaking loose and flowing into the blood vessels in the skin of the feet, which causes a blueish purple color and may be painful. While the purple toe syndrome is reversible, some cases progress to cause skin and other body tissues to die (this is known as necrosis or gangrene) and may result in a need to remove (amputate) the toes. Your mother may need medical care right away to prevent this.        

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What drugs may interact with anticoagulants?
The following drugs may interact with anticoagulant drugs, leading to side effects: antiplatelet ...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly a...
Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
Rishi Anand, MDRishi Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...
How can anticoagulants affect oral surgery?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Reduced blood clotting is a side effect of aspirins and anticoagulants, such as heparin or warfa...