What should I do if I’m taking warfarin and need to have surgery?

If you're taking warfarin and need to have surgery, be sure to tell the doctor who will be doing the surgery that you are taking warfarin. Tell your doctor (the one who put you on warfarin) about the surgery you have planned. He or she may tell you to stop taking warfarin before the surgery or change your dose of warfarin before the surgery.  

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
Rishi Anand, MDRishi Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly a...
What drugs may interact with anticoagulants?
The following drugs may interact with anticoagulant drugs, leading to side effects: antiplatelet ...
How are anticoagulants used?
Anticoagulants are medications that inhibit blood clotting. While they cannot dissolve an existing c...