What should I know before using Pradaxa?

Before taking Pradaxa, you should know that it is a "blood-thinning" medication that can reduce your risk of blood clots and stroke if you have atrial fibrillation, a heart condition. Tell your doctor if you have kidney problems, have ever had bleeding problems or stomach ulcers, have any other medical condition, and if you are pregnant (or plan to get pregnant) or breastfeeding.

You should know that Pradaxa can cause side effects such as stomach problems and bleeding. Call your doctor immediately if you experience any excessive or unexpected bleeding or bruising. Other symptoms to report immediately include dizziness, weakness, joint pain, headaches, red or black stools or vomiting blood. You should know that Pradaxa can interact with other medications, particularly blood-thinning drugs such as warfarin, heparin or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) you may be taking long-term.

You should know how to take Pradaxa (as a daily capsule) and how to store it (in the original bottle in a cool, dry place). Talk to your doctor about any questions you have, or any unusual symptoms or side effects you experience.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

How can anticoagulants affect oral surgery?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Reduced blood clotting is a side effect of aspirins and anticoagulants, such as heparin or warfa...
Why would I need anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
You may be prescribed anticoagulant injections:       • if you are at risk for blood clots because...
What is Praxbind?
Praxbind (idarucizumab) is a medication used to reverse the effects of another medication, Pradaxa (...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly a...