What are the risks of taking a novel anticoagulant if I am breastfeeding?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
Novel anticoagulants have not yet been studied in women who are breastfeeding their babies. Researchers do not know if a novel anticoagulant passes from breast milk to the baby, or what effect this could have on a baby. Until more studies are done that are specifically looking at the effect of novel anticoagulants on the infant while breastfeeding, you should not take a novel anticoagulant drug if you are breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What are anticoagulants?
Many people with heart failure are at risk for blood clots in the heart or blood vessels. A blood cl...
What is an anticoagulant?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
An anticoagulant is a medication that helps to prevent clots from forming in your blood. This type...
What is Praxbind?
Praxbind (idarucizumab) is a medication used to reverse the effects of another medication, Pradaxa (...
What does it mean if my mother's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...