What is Xarelto?

Xarelto (rivaroxaban) is an anticoagulant, or blood thinner, prescribed for two different purposes:
  • It reduces the risk of stroke in people with atrial fibrillation, a common heart rhythm disorder.
  • It reduces the risk of blood clots after knee or hip replacement surgery. A blood clot in a deep vein of the leg or thigh, also called a deep vein thrombosis (DVT), can break loose and enter the bloodstream. If this embolus goes to the lung it's called a pulmonary embolism. Since it can block blood flow, a pulmonary embolism is life-threatening.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What drugs may interact with anticoagulants?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
The following drugs may interact with anticoagulant drugs, leading to side effects: antiplatelet...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too low?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too low, it means that her dose of warfarin may not be eno...
What should I tell my doctor before getting anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Before you begin anticoagulant injections, tell your doctor if you:       • have bleeding problem...
What are the guidelines for anticoagulant therapy?
The following is a list of guidelines for anticoagulant therapy: Take the medication exactly as di...