What is Praxbind?

Praxbind (idarucizumab) is a medication used to reverse the effects of another medication, Pradaxa (dabigatran). Pradaxa is a blood thinner (anticoagulant) used to prevent blood clots, but in cases where it leads to uncontrolled bleeding, or if its effects need to be stopped so that emergency surgery or other procedures need to be performed, Praxbind is used. Praxbind may be injected or infused with an IV. Anticoagulant therapy can usually be resumed after the situation that required Praxbind is resolved. Possible side effects to Praxbind include allergic reaction, headache, constipation, and delirium. Patients with hereditary fructose intolerance have had dangerous reactions to Praxbind, which contains sorbitol. 

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

How can anticoagulants affect oral surgery?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Reduced blood clotting is a side effect of aspirins and anticoagulants, such as heparin or warfa...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly a...
Is it safe to stop taking blood thinners for afib before hip surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) and are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wi...
When should I call the doctor while on anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Call the doctor if you notice these symptoms while taking anticoagulant injections:     • excessiv...