What is Lovenox?

Lovenox, the prescription drug enoxaparin, is a blood thinner that is used for the prevention of deep vein thrombosis, in which blood clots from in the legs. It is used for people who are bedridden due to an illness, people who have undergone hip or knee replacement surgery, or people who have undergone stomach surgery. It is also used, with aspirin, to prevent angina and heart attack complications. Lovenox is sometimes used, with warfarin, to treat blood clots that are in the legs. It may also be used as a treatment for people having certain kinds of acute heart attacks. Lovenox works by stopping the development of substances that lead to clots. Lovenox is known as a low molecular weight heparin.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

Who should take an anticoagulant?
Warfarin, an anticoagulant, is recommended for people with heart failure, history of a stroke or a T...
Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...
What are the guidelines for anticoagulant therapy?
The following is a list of guidelines for anticoagulant therapy: Take the medication exactly as di...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too low?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too low, it means that her dose of warfarin may not be eno...