What is heparin sodium?

Heparin sodium is part of a class of medications known as anticoagulants, commonly called blood thinners. The term "blood thinner" is misleading; heparin does not actually make the blood any less thick. It prevents the blood from clotting. It is used whenever there is an increased chance of blood clotting. For example, it may be administered if a person has to stay in bed for a long period of time, during open-heart or heart bypass surgery, or during kidney dialysis or blood transfusions. This would prevent blood from clotting in the catheter tubes.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

When should I call the doctor while on anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Call the doctor if you notice these symptoms while taking anticoagulant injections:     • excessiv...
What does it mean if my mother's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...
What is Praxbind?
Praxbind (idarucizumab) is a medication used to reverse the effects of another medication, Pradaxa (...
What are some examples of commonly prescribed anticoagulant medicines?
SCAISCAI
Some common anticoagulant medications include:•Warfarin (Coumadin) •Heparin•Lovenox•Bivalrudin