What is heparin sodium?

Heparin sodium is part of a class of medications known as anticoagulants, commonly called blood thinners. The term "blood thinner" is misleading; heparin does not actually make the blood any less thick. It prevents the blood from clotting. It is used whenever there is an increased chance of blood clotting. For example, it may be administered if a person has to stay in bed for a long period of time, during open-heart or heart bypass surgery, or during kidney dialysis or blood transfusions. This would prevent blood from clotting in the catheter tubes.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too low?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too low, it means that her dose of warfarin may not be eno...
How are anticoagulants used?
Anticoagulants are medications that inhibit blood clotting. While they cannot dissolve an existing c...
What does it mean if my mother's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...
What are the guidelines for anticoagulant therapy?
The following is a list of guidelines for anticoagulant therapy: Take the medication exactly as di...