What is heparin?

Heparin is a medication that is used to treat and prevent blood clots in the veins, arteries and lungs. It may be used before surgery or dialysis to reduce the risk for blood clots. Heparin is a type of medication called an anticoagulant, or a "blood thinner." It works by improving the function of an anti-clotting protein that your body makes naturally, which helps blood flow more smoothly. Heparin is either injected into your vein or under your skin by a healthcare professional in a hospital or clinic, or you may be told to inject the medication by yourself at home. If you will be injecting heparin yourself, a healthcare provider will show you how to inject the medication. Talk to your doctor to determine whether heparin is right for you.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...
How can anticoagulants affect oral surgery?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Reduced blood clotting is a side effect of aspirins and anticoagulants, such as heparin or warfa...
What are some examples of commonly prescribed anticoagulant medicines?
SCAISCAI
Some common anticoagulant medications include:•Warfarin (Coumadin) •Heparin•Lovenox•Bivalrudin
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too low?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too low, it means that her dose of warfarin may not be eno...