What is heparin?

Heparin is a medication that is used to treat and prevent blood clots in the veins, arteries and lungs. It may be used before surgery or dialysis to reduce the risk for blood clots. Heparin is a type of medication called an anticoagulant, or a "blood thinner." It works by improving the function of an anti-clotting protein that your body makes naturally, which helps blood flow more smoothly. Heparin is either injected into your vein or under your skin by a healthcare professional in a hospital or clinic, or you may be told to inject the medication by yourself at home. If you will be injecting heparin yourself, a healthcare provider will show you how to inject the medication. Talk to your doctor to determine whether heparin is right for you.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

When should I call the doctor while on anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Call the doctor if you notice these symptoms while taking anticoagulant injections:     • excessiv...
What are the guidelines for anticoagulant therapy?
The following is a list of guidelines for anticoagulant therapy: Take the medication exactly as di...
What should I tell my doctor before getting anticoagulant injections?
Before you begin anticoagulant injections, tell your doctor if you:       • have bleeding problem...
What are some safety tips when taking anticoagulants?
If you... Have a prosthetic heart valve - Apixaban and rivaroxaban may not be good options. If yo...