What is Hep-Lock U/P?

Hep-Lock U/P is a preservative-free formulation of the active ingredient heparin, an intravenous anticoagulant used to prevent blood clots from forming. Heparin works by improving the function of an anti-clotting protein that your body makes naturally to help blood flow smoothly. The concentration of heparin in Hep-Loc (10 units or 100 units per milliliter) is used only in intravenous (IV) injection devices called catheters. After an IV catheter is inserted into the vein, Hep-Lock solution may be injected just to fill the space in the catheter to make sure blood clots do not form in the device. The "Hep" part of the name refers to heparin; the "Loc" part refers to its function which is to "lock out" the blood from flowing back into the IV catheter; the "U/P" part refers to the preservative-free formulation. When blood flows back into the catheter, it can clot, plug up the catheter and prevent the flow of IV medications into the body.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

Who should take an anticoagulant?
Warfarin, an anticoagulant, is recommended for people with heart failure, history of a stroke or a T...
What drugs may interact with anticoagulants?
The following drugs may interact with anticoagulant drugs, leading to side effects: antiplatelet ...
What should I tell my doctor before getting anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Before you begin anticoagulant injections, tell your doctor if you:       • have bleeding problem...
Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...