What is dalteparin injection?

Fragmin is the brand name of dalteparin. It is an anticoagulant, which prevents dangerous blood clots by thinning the blood. Dalteparin is often taken with aspirin to prevent blood vessel complications in patients with angina (chest pain) or heart attacks. Dalteparin is also used to prevent a type of blood clot called deep vein thrombosis (DVT), which can lead to blood clots in the lungs (pulmonary embolism). A DVT can occur after certain types of surgery, or in people who are bedridden due to a long-term illness. Dalteparin is also used long term to treat a blood clot called a venous thromboembolism.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

Is it safe to stop taking blood thinners for afib before hip surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) and are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wi...
Why would I need anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
You may be prescribed anticoagulant injections:       • if you are at risk for blood clots because...
What are side effects of anticoagulants?
Normal side effects of anticoagulants can include: Bruising Prolonged bleeding from small cuts ...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too low?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too low, it means that her dose of warfarin may not be eno...