What is Coumadin?

Coumadin is an anticoagulant that prevents the blood from forming blood clots. It is also known as a blood thinner. People may take Coumadin if they have had a heart attack, have problems with blood clots, have an irregular heartbeat or for several other reasons. The brand-name version of warfarin, Coumadin, is only available by prescription in tablet form.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What does it mean if my mother's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...
Is it safe to stop taking blood thinners for afib before hip surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) and are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wi...
How are anticoagulants used?
Anticoagulants are medications that inhibit blood clotting. While they cannot dissolve an existing c...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly a...