What is Ceprotin?

Ceprotin is a concentrated version of a naturally-produced substance in the body, protein C. It is taken to correct a congenital deficiency in protein C; this causes purpura fulminans, characterized by blood clots in the skin, and venous thrombosis, characterized by blood clots in blood vessels.

Ceprotin is made from human blood products, and so taking it carries a minor risk of viral transmission. Blood products are checked with FDA-approved tests for HIV-1/HIV-2 antibodies, hepatitis C virus, and hepatitis B surface antigens. For additional safety, the nucleic acid test is applied to test blood products for HIV-1 and hepatitis C virus.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too low?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too low, it means that her dose of warfarin may not be eno...
When should I call the doctor while on anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Call the doctor if you notice these symptoms while taking anticoagulant injections:     • excessiv...
What precautions should I follow when taking blood thinners?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
If you are taking warfarin (Coumadin), you already should be having a test regularly to make sure th...
Is it safe to stop taking blood thinners for afib before hip surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) and are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wi...