What is an anticoagulant?

An anticoagulant is a medication that helps to prevent clots from forming in your blood. This type of medication is often taken as a pill, but it is
sometimes given as an injection (shot).

Anticoagulant injections, such as Lovenox or Arixtra, might take the place of anticoagulant pills or be added to them.
An anticoagulant (anti means against, and coagulant refers to blood clotting) or "blood thinner" helps reduce the risk of clots forming in the blood. Your physician will give you an anticoagulant if he/she has determined that you have a medical condition that requires treatment with a medication to prevent your blood from forming blood clots when it shouldn't. This treatment is called anticoagulation.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...
What is Praxbind?
Praxbind (idarucizumab) is a medication used to reverse the effects of another medication, Pradaxa (...
What are some safety tips when taking anticoagulants?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
When you are taking anticoagulants, you need to be careful about foods and other medications that ma...
What drugs may interact with anticoagulants?
The following drugs may interact with anticoagulant drugs, leading to side effects: antiplatelet ...