What should be my INR level if I'm taking warfarin?

Warfarin (Coumadin) is an anticoagulant or "blood thinner." Anti means against, and coagulant refers to blood clotting. An anticoagulant helps reduce the risk of clots forming in the blood. Warfarin treatment will be monitored through regular laboratory testing. The blood test is called a PT or protime and is reported as an INR which stands for International Normalized Ratio. After interpreting these results, your doctor will inform you whether or not a change needs to be made in your warfarin dosage.

Your target INR depends on the condition for which you are receiving treatment with anticoagulation. The most common INR range for patients is 2.0 to 3.0. "Low-intensity" is 1.5 to 2.0 and "high-intensity" is 3.0 to 4.0.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What are some safety tips when taking anticoagulants?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you have a prosthetic heart valve, apixaban and rivaroxaban may not be good options for you. If y...
How are anticoagulants used?
Anticoagulants are medications that inhibit blood clotting. While they cannot dissolve an existing c...
What is Praxbind?
Praxbind (idarucizumab) is a medication used to reverse the effects of another medication, Pradaxa (...
Who should take an anticoagulant?
People who should regularly take an anticoagulant, or blood thinner, include those who have had a DV...