What foods should I avoid if I take blood thinners?

F. Michael Gloth, III
Geriatric Medicine
If you take warfarin (Coumadin) (commonly referred to as "blood thinners," these drugs are used to prevent the formation of blood clots and -- as a result -- strokes and heart attacks), avoid:
  • Foods high in vitamin K (e.g., broccoli, spinach, kale, turnip greens, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts) because they decrease drug efficacy and promote blood clotting
  • Foods with greater than or equal to 400 I.U. vitamin E because they may prolong bleeding times
Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

As people reach their fifties, the body’s metabolism slows. Without a change in eating or exercise habits, it’s common to put on weight and become less able to perform routine physical...