What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too low?

If your child's PT/INR test result is too low, it means that her dose of warfarin may not be enough to protect her blood from clotting. Her warfarin dose needs to be increased. On the other hand, if her PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly and she is at risk of bleeding. In that case, her dose of warfarin should be reduced. Your child's doctor will increase or decrease the dose according to her PT/INR test result. 

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What are some safety tips when taking anticoagulants?
If you... Have a prosthetic heart valve - Apixaban and rivaroxaban may not be good options. If yo...
What are the guidelines for anticoagulant therapy?
The following is a list of guidelines for anticoagulant therapy: Take the medication exactly as di...
What precautions should I follow when taking blood thinners?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
If you are taking warfarin (Coumadin), you already should be having a test regularly to make sure th...
Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...