What should I avoid while taking Pradaxa?

While taking Pradaxa, avoid aspirin or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or naproxen (Aleve), and other medications that may thin the blood. If you need a medication like these -- for arthritis, for example -- talk to your doctor about how to safely proceed.

You should also avoid dental procedures and surgery while taking Pradaxa. If you require surgery or a dental procedure, you may need to stop taking Pradaxa for a day or more beforehand. But don't do this on your own. Let your doctor advise you on whether to do this and how to do it safely. Stopping Pradaxa suddenly can cause serious problems, such as increasing your risk of having a stroke.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What is an anticoagulant?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
An anticoagulant (anti means against, and coagulant refers to blood clotting) or "blood thinner"...
What are the guidelines for anticoagulant therapy?
The following is a list of guidelines for anticoagulant therapy: Take the medication exactly as di...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly a...
What precautions should I follow when taking blood thinners?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
If you are taking warfarin (Coumadin), you already should be having a test regularly to make sure th...