What are the risks of taking antithrombin III?

Antithrombin III is made from the pooled plasma of blood donors. It may contain human viruses, including hepatitis, which causes liver disease; human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), which causes acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS); and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, a disease of the central nervous system (the human equivalent of mad cow disease). Your doctor may recommend that you get vaccinated against hepatitis before using this medication.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

How do blood thinners affect my risk for aneurysms?
David W. Drucker, MDDavid W. Drucker, MD
They really don't. We do aneurysm surgeries on people who are on all different types of blood thinne...
Is it safe to stop taking blood thinners for afib before hip surgery?
Rishi Anand, MDRishi Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) and are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wi...
What precautions should I follow when taking blood thinners?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
If you are taking warfarin (Coumadin), you already should be having a test regularly to make sure th...
What does it mean if my mother's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...