Can I take both warfarin and a novel anticoagulant for A Fib?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
You cannot take warfarin and a novel anticoagulant at the same time for atrial fibrillation (also called A Fib), a common heart rhythm disorder. If you are currently taking warfarin for A Fib, your doctor can help you transition to a novel anticoagulant. Do not just stop taking your warfarin and switch to the novel anticoagulant. Your doctor will develop a plan to gradually reduce the amount of warfarin over time to help prevent negative reactions. Talk to your doctor about switching from warfarin to a novel anticoagulant and make sure you understand the process.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

Why would I need anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
You may be prescribed anticoagulant injections:       • if you are at risk for blood clots because...
What are some examples of commonly prescribed anticoagulant medicines?
SCAISCAI
Some common anticoagulant medications include:•Warfarin (Coumadin) •Heparin•Lovenox•Bivalrudin
What should I tell my doctor before getting anticoagulant injections?
Before you begin anticoagulant injections, tell your doctor if you:       • have bleeding problem...
What are the guidelines for anticoagulant therapy?
The following is a list of guidelines for anticoagulant therapy: Take the medication exactly as di...