Can I take both warfarin and a novel anticoagulant for A Fib?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
You cannot take warfarin and a novel anticoagulant at the same time for atrial fibrillation (also called A Fib), a common heart rhythm disorder. If you are currently taking warfarin for A Fib, your doctor can help you transition to a novel anticoagulant. Do not just stop taking your warfarin and switch to the novel anticoagulant. Your doctor will develop a plan to gradually reduce the amount of warfarin over time to help prevent negative reactions. Talk to your doctor about switching from warfarin to a novel anticoagulant and make sure you understand the process.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What is Praxbind?
Praxbind (idarucizumab) is a medication used to reverse the effects of another medication, Pradaxa (...
What precautions should I follow when taking blood thinners?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
If you are taking warfarin (Coumadin), you already should be having a test regularly to make sure th...
What drugs may interact with anticoagulants?
The following drugs may interact with anticoagulant drugs, leading to side effects: antiplatelet ...
Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...