What should I know about taking a novel anticoagulant if I am on warfarin?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
If you are currently taking warfarin for atrial fibrillation, be sure to work with your doctor before you start taking a novel anticoagulant. While it may be tempting to stop taking your warfarin and start taking the novel anticoagulant immediately, you should not do this. Instead, your doctor will explain how to gradually reduce the dose of warfarin so that you can avoid serious reactions. Your doctor will also tell you when it is safe to start taking the novel anticoagulant to help prevent an ischemic stroke, which happens when the blood supply to the brain is blocked by a blood clot. Do not take warfarin and a novel anticoagulant at the same time.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

Is it safe to stop taking blood thinners for afib before hip surgery?
Rishi Anand, MDRishi Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) and are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wi...
What are some safety tips when taking anticoagulants?
If you... Have a prosthetic heart valve - Apixaban and rivaroxaban may not be good options. If yo...
What does it mean if my mother's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...
What drugs may interact with anticoagulants?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
The following drugs may interact with anticoagulant drugs, leading to side effects: antiplatelet...