What should I know about taking a novel anticoagulant if I am on warfarin?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
If you are currently taking warfarin for atrial fibrillation, be sure to work with your doctor before you start taking a novel anticoagulant. While it may be tempting to stop taking your warfarin and start taking the novel anticoagulant immediately, you should not do this. Instead, your doctor will explain how to gradually reduce the dose of warfarin so that you can avoid serious reactions. Your doctor will also tell you when it is safe to start taking the novel anticoagulant to help prevent an ischemic stroke, which happens when the blood supply to the brain is blocked by a blood clot. Do not take warfarin and a novel anticoagulant at the same time.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

what does it mean if my child pt/inr test result is too low ?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too low, it means that her dose of warfarin may not be eno...
what is praxbind ?
Praxbind (idarucizumab) is a medication used to reverse the effects of another medication, Pradaxa (...
what drugs may interact with anticoagulants ?
The following drugs may interact with anticoagulant drugs, leading to side effects: antiplatelet ...
how can anticoagulants affect oral surgery ?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Reduced blood clotting is a side effect of aspirins and anticoagulants, such as heparin or warfa...